WHAT CAN I DO?
All volunteers, whether you are an adviser, an assessor, a receptionist or an information assistant are given free, formal and on the job training. You are supported every step of the way and reasonable out-of-pocket expenses reimbursed.
Our roles include:
Assessor / Information Assistant
We will train you to:
- assess clients’ problems via telephone and face-to-face and email.
- identify key information about clients’ problems
- help clients find the information they need using our self-help booths
- assess and agree the most appropriate level of service for that client
- refer and signpost clients appropriately to suit their needs
- enter details and monitoring information on to our computer system
We will train you to:
- interview clients
- provide comprehensive advice to clients using our information system
- calculate clients’ entitlements to benefits
- formulate financial statements
- help them negotiate with people such as creditors or service providers
- draft letters
- make telephone calls on behalf of clients
As a volunteer administrator you would help to ensure the smooth running of a bureau by ensuring our office systems run efficiently, filing, opening and logging post, photocopying, maintaining supplies of handouts and leaflets and volunteer recruitment.
Research & Campaigns
Our Research & Campaigns team are an important part of who we are. They get involved in national and local campaigns to try to change things that cause people the most problems. They collate anonymous information and statistics to keep Citizens Advice head office informed about what problems people are facing and what needs to change.
As a Financial Capability volunteer you would be part of a team which prepares and runs training sessions on money management and switching energy providers to local groups, schools and associations.
As a Trustee of Citizens Advice Croydon you would oversee the management of the organisation. We welcome people with experience of HR, accounting, governance and charity management. This is not an office-based role but you would need to be available to attend four evening meetings each year, as well as some sub-committee meetings and attend a one-day planning session each year.