Our advice service operates from our offices at South Norwood, offering one-off or ongoing advice, depending on the complexity of your query. We can deal with enquiries on a face-to-face basis, by telephone, letter or via our on-line advice service. See Opening Hours for full details of our service.

When you seek advice

At your first contact we will take your details and an Assessor will discuss with you what the issues are and whether there are any immediate priorities.  We may ask you to bring in or post us copies of any relevant paperwork.  We take a holistic approach and all advice is tailored to each individual client. We can then:

  • give you some basic information, or

  • arrange for a follow-up telephone call from an adviser or an appointment to take the matter further, or refer you to a specialist worker or agency.

How you can help us to help you

Contact us at the earliest opportunity – don’t wait until the day before an important deadline.
If you write to us, make sure you let us know your name, address and a day-time contact telephone number.  A brief note of what you need advice about together with copies of any relevant paperwork may assist us to help you faster.

Bring all the necessary paperwork with you. 

Be patient – demand for our service is high and you may have to wait a few days before we get back to you.

Advisers are not solicitors; if you need legal advice, we can give you a list of local firms.


Specialist Services we offer

In addition to the Generalist Service, we run the following specialist services: 

Get help applying for Universal Credit - Our Help to Claim service can support you in the early stages of your Universal Credit claim, from the application, through to your first payment. Help to Claim is a dedicated service from Citizens Advice. It’s free, independent and confidential. Our trained advisers can help with things like how to gather evidence for your application or how to prepare for your work coach appointment.

Call us free: 0800 144 8 444

Click HERE for details of how to access this service.

For online advice visit: www.citizensadvice.org.uk/helptoclaim

Signposting and referring for other organisations - If you’re a local organisation working with people who need to help applying Universal Credit, get in touch at ceo@croydoncab.org.uk for more information on how you can signpost or refer people to our service.

Macmillan/Citizens Advice Service - our service for people living with cancer, their families and carers is run in conjunction with Citizens Advice Wandsworth and provides a free and confidential welfare benefits and money advice service for anyone in South West London who is affected by cancer.  Appointments are available at various locations including hospitals, cancer support centres as well as in our office at South Norwood.  See ‘Where we are’ for contact details or click the link on that page to fill in an on-line enquiry form.

Citizens Advice Croydon Housing Advice Service - this is an independent advice service run from our South Norwood office, specialising in giving advice on housing related matters, i.e. homelessness, eviction, housing conditions.  Advice can be given by telephone or by appointment.
See ‘Where we are’ for contact details.